Notifications
Clear all

230V AC Induction Motors

Forum 1
 Alex
(@alex)

Hi, I really like the features of your Solo controller and I would like to buy it but, I have a question before I do:

Can it be made to control low current, high voltage AC induction motors e.g. like industry standard single phase and three phase 230V 50/60Hz 1.2A fan, refrigerator, condenser motors? 

Topic starter Posted : 15/05/2021 12:05 pm
SOLO Team
(@milad)
Chief Member Moderator

Hi @alex

Thanks for the post and interest on SOLO,

Posted by: @alex

Can it be made to control low current, high voltage AC induction motors e.g. like industry standard single phase and three phase 230V 50/60Hz 1.2A fan, refrigerator, condenser motors

Here in our laboratory, we tested a three phase ACIM motor from "Weiling" (shown in image attaced) which was used in a Washing machine and rated at 220VAC by applying only 36VDC on SOLO, and we could control it both in closed-loop and open-loop modes, it should be noted that of course SOLO can not be connected to an AC lines directly and it's maximum DC input voltage for continuous operation is 56VDC, but for high voltage motors, you can apply a DC voltage to SOLO ( like 48V) and try to control them and see how is the quality of control.

We have some users using SOLO to control rated 480VAC PMSM motors using SOLO applying 42VDC at the inputs of SOLO, in all these cases clearly you are not applying the rated voltage on your motor, however by using higher current injected into the motors it's possible to make them turn and operate in an acceptable manner, the quality of operation in Low voltage and High voltage conditions remains application depandant and it must be evaulated in real world scenarios.

I will remain available for further discussions.

Regards
Milad

If you found the answers helpful and you could solve your problems, please kindly verify here to help others in the future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2021 2:39 pm
Forum 1
 Alex
(@alex)

@milad

Thank you for that info Milad, I understand better what your controller can do now.

Out of interest, please can you tell me the model of the 24V AC motor you tested on the left of that picture?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/05/2021 4:11 pm
SOLO Team
(@milad)
Chief Member Moderator

@alex,

Attached the datasheet of the 24V ACIM motor that is also used in this tutorial for a demonstration of how to control the speed of an ACIM with SOLO, the link to purchase it is below, but unfortunately, it seems it's out of stock on mouser.

https://www.mouser.it/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/LVACIMTR?qs=Mrfp3zus3mO7r7we%2FZ%2Fneg==

I will remain available.

Regards
Milad

If you found the answers helpful and you could solve your problems, please kindly verify here to help others in the future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2021 6:02 pm
Share: