Forum

Why "Encoder Lines"...

Notifications
Clear all

Why "Encoder Lines" variable capped at 20000?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Forum 1
(@barisucarsoy)
Topic starter  

Hi, I currently have a 32768 ppr incremental encoder and I am trying to set it up from Motion Terminal but the maximum allowed number is 20000. Is there a specific reason for this? How can I make it work?

SOLO Team
(@milad)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hello @barisucarsoy,

Do you see incrment or decrement of around 131,072 pulses  ( 4x 32768 ) when you spin the Motor shaft manually by 1 mechanical turn in Motion terminal? -- because SOLO counts the incremental encoder in quadrature fashion, but you need to put the encoder lines as Pulse per revolution.

In any case to set very high value for the encoder you can use our legacy motion terminal ( just set the value there and go back to the latest Motion terminal version)

https://www.solomotorcontrollers.com/SOLO-motion-terminal/0.8.3.0/

Let me know if this could help.

Milad

If you found the answers helpful and you could solve your problems, please kindly verify here to help others in the future.

ReplyQuote
Forum 1
(@barisucarsoy)
Topic starter  

Thank you, now I can set the correct ppr. I can see it works properly with from the quad count. However, now I get no index signal error when I try to calibrate with the encoder. I do get updated index count on the information section when I start the monitoring. So it does not seem to be any problem with connections. What other problems may cause this? I have 1st and 5th piano pins down (uno v2) if that's also relevant. Power supply set to 32V 5A max.

Screenshot 2024 06 26 150705
Screenshot 2024 06 26 150738
Screenshot 2024 06 26 150933

ReplyQuote
SOLO Team
(@milad)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi @barisucarsoy

Index input is simply looking to see if the encoder sends a pulse once per mechanical rev. at the Index input of SOLO, so if you see such an error, it means the Index pulse from the encoder is not coming, can you verify that with an scope? -- the other reason can be very low current limit, so during calibration you need to put the current limit high enough so that the Motor can slowly spin back an forth, so does your motor slowly spin once you press calibration button?

Posted by: @barisucarsoy

I have 1st and 5th piano pins down (uno v2) if

This is fine.

Posted by: @barisucarsoy

Power supply set to 32V 5A max.

Not important for Index.

Let me know.

If you found the answers helpful and you could solve your problems, please kindly verify here to help others in the future.

ReplyQuote
Share: